ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR FURTHER STUDY:
- Wall Builders/David Barton (www.wallbuilders.com)
- The American Minute/Bill Federer (www.americanminute.com)
- "A Patriot's History of the United States" by Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen.
QUESTIONS ON "WHY HISTORY MATTERS" VIDEO LESSON:
- Why is it so important for Christians to remember the “former times”—particularly the founding roots of America?
- How has America changed in your lifetime? What do we accept as “normal” and “acceptable” what was once “abnormal” and “unacceptable?” What have we lost that was once common and traditional? Why do you think we lost these traditions?
- How do you feel when you hear how textbook writers and historians with agendas have altered the true story of America for “economic” or “secular” reasons? Should that fact concern us? Why or why not?
- The desire to end slavery was a major reason we declared independence from Britain. Thomas Jefferson wanted a statement to that effect in the Declaration of Independence and yet opposition by southern slave states forced a deletion of Jefferson’s conviction. When you consider this historic fact, how does it make you feel? Why didn’t the majority of the states simply overrule the opposition (most states were abolitionist originally)?
- The number one reason for “independence” was the propagation of the gospel. And yet many history books today state the reason various colonies chartered were for economic reasons (gold, land, etc.). If the truth is really a more “Christian” reason, why would America want to forget such an idea?
- Forty-five percent of evangelicals, according to election surveys, vote for candidates based upon their economic policies rather than their morality, integrity and character. Does a candidate’s morality matter if he or she can keep America financially prosperous and solvent? Explain.
I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
"History, by apprizing them of the past, will enable them to judge of the future; it will avail them of the experience of other times and other nations; it will qualify them as judges of the actions and designs of men..."
As you journey through The American Heritage Series, you’ll be challenged to rethink your history, learn how to defend America's Christian roots and grow in biblical community.
Discipleship. Fellowship. Prayer. WORSHIP.
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer...
"A biblical community for the spiritually curious."
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.